VPN stands for Virtual Private Network is used to anonymously access the network and is mostly used to access or do private work when on public network so that no one can monitor what you are doing on the network which Netgear Technical Support suggests you to do as there may be potential hackers or suspicious people who may be monitoring you for your sensitive data like credit card numbers etc. It also allows user to access the blocked content on the network. If any website, content type is blocked in your network, you can access it by using the VPN.
Almost all of the Netgear Nighthawk routers support VPN service which you can use either to hide your data or to access blocked content.
This Netgear Technical Support article will tell you how to setup VPN on your nighthawk router.
Steps to setup VPN service on Netgear Nighthawk router:
- Login to your router by visiting http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com from the computer which is connected to the router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to ADVANCED tab and then go to Advanced Setup > VPN service.
- Click on the check box Enable VPN Service and hit Apply.
- Now go to http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html in a new tab of your web browser.
- Download the windows installer from that site according to your operating system.
- Now, run the file you have downloaded and right click on the file and run it as administrator.
- Now follow the setup wizard and install the application.
- A new shortcut named OpenVPN GUI will appear on your desktop.
- Now go back to Netgear genie and click the For Windows button.
- Save the file when prompted.
- Now right click on the file you just downloaded and extract it.
- There should be for files. Copy all those files in the folder where the VPN client is installed. The default path of folder is C:\Program files\OpenVPN\config\by default
- Now go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections.
- Find the TAP-Windows V9 network icon and rename it to NETGEAR-VPN.
- You can now access the VPN from any remote location you want.
- To use VPN from remote location, connect to the internet.
- Right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon and run it as administrator.
- The OpenVPN GUI icon will appear on the system tray. Right click on it and click on connect.
- The icon will turn green and now you are connected to VPN.
If you are facing any issues, please contact the Netgear Technical Support. Netgear technical support team can be contacted on Netgear tech support number at 1-888-479-2017 (Toll free).