If your Linksys Router has a USB port, you can use this port to connect your USB printer which then after configuration can be used by anyone in the network. Sharing a printer over a network is very convenient, fast and saves money as you just need one printer which can be used by everyone almost instantly through any supported device which is connected to the same network.
This Linksys Technical Support article will guide you on how to use a USB printer with your Linksys Router. This article is only applicable to Windows machines. The supported Windows versions are XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10.
Linksys Technical Support recommends to install the printer drivers in the computers which will use this printer from the network. Your printer may not appear in the list of available devices if you do not have the printer driver installed. Head over to your printer’s website to download the latest drivers for your printer.
Linksys Technical Support also recommends to check for the firmware update for the router before proceeding.
You will need to download and install the Linksys USB Control Center Software into your computer. Version 2.1.0 is for Windows Vista and XP, version 2.2.0 is for rest of the Windows OS.
To configure your USB Printer to work with your Linksys Router, follow steps below:
- Open a web browser from the computer which is connected to the router and enter the IP address of the router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to Network Map/Device List tool.
- Click on Add a Device button.
- Select USB Printer under Select the type of device to add to your network page.
- Now connect your printer to your router via USB port.
- Now click on Click here link under For Windows PC to download the Linksys USB Control Center.
- Save the file and extract it in your computer.
- Go to the respective folder according to your Operating System.
- Find the Cosetup file and run it.
- Follow the Setup Wizard to install the software. A prompt window will appear in the middle of the installation process. Click Yes to continue the installation.
- You will need to restart your computer after installation. If you want to restart it later, just uncheck the Restart your computer now checkbox before clicking on Finish button.
- After restarting your computer, launch the Linksys USB Control Center and add your printer so that it can connect with other devices in the network.
The printer is now configured with your router and should work accordingly.The name which you have assigned to the printer will appear. If you have not assigned any name, default name will appear.
If you have any questions or are facing any problems, please contact to Linksys Technical Support. Call on 1-888-479-2017 for assistance.
Extending your wireless network by adding second Linksys router as a repeater. This Linksys Router Support article will guide you on how to configure a Linksys Router as a repeater.