USB port can be used to connect the USB storage devices like pen drives or external hard disk drives to share the drive over the network. The drive can then be accessed by the devices which are connected to the network.
It is a very handy feature. It saves the trouble of plugging the drives into every other computer from which you want the data to be transferred. All computers can access the data from the drive at the same time. File sharing is easy by using this feature as you just have to copy the file to the drive and then all the computers over the network will be able to use that file directly from the drive.
TP-Link Technical Support suggests to use this feature if you transfer a lot of data f=between multiple computers. This can be used to transfer the media between your home computers and will also save a lot of memory as you don’t need to copy the same file to multiple computers.
Setup process is easy and short. This TP-Link Technical Support article will guide you through the process.
We are using TP-Link Archer C2600 router as an example here.
To setup the File Sharing feature, follow steps below:
- Connect the router to the computer.
- Plug a storage drive to the router using USB port. The USB LED should light up.
- Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the router. Default IP address can be found on the label on the router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted. Default username and password can be found on the label on the router.
- Go to Advanced > USB Settings > Device Settings. Your drive should be listed here. If it is not, click on the scan button and try to reconnect the drive to the router.
- After the drive has been identified, Network Neighbourhood will get enabled and is set to Share All by default.
- Share All will let all users access everything on the drive. You can limit it according to your needs.
- By using Enable Authentication feature, you can create an account which must be logged in to access the USB storage drive. This feature can only be used if All Share is enabled.
- By turning off All Share, you can only share the folder you want. Rest of the drive will remain inaccessible. Click on Add and give the folder path which you want to be accessed. Give a folder name and check the rules given below according to your needs. Click OK to save the configuration.
- To access the USB storage, open RUN by pressing windows key + R and enter the double forward slash followed by media server name which you have set up.
- For MAC users, go to Connect to Server and enter smb://Media Server name and click on Connect Button.
File sharing feature is now configured on your router and should work accordingly.
If you are facing any issues, please contact to TP-Link Technical Support. Call on 1-888-479-2017 (Toll free) for more information.
If you want to control bandwidth on TP-link routers