Media Access Control (MAC) address, also called Physical Address is a unique address given to the devices during their time of manufacturing. Once assigned, it cannot be changed and hence is used to identify the devices over the network. We can use this address to allow or deny the access to our network by just allowing or denying to the MAC address we want to byUsing Access control/Mac filtering feature on Netgear Routers.
By default, all the devices are allowed to connect to the wireless network if they know the SSID and password of the Wi-Fi network. So anyone can connect to your Wi-Fi network if they know the password. But with the help of Access Control feature, it is possible to allow or block just a specified list of devices to connect to the Wi-Fi network even if they know the password of the Wi-Fi network.
Not all routers support this feature. Make sure that your NETGEAR router supports it by heading over to NETGEAR website. You can also take help from Netgear router support team.
Enabling the Access control:
- Launch web browser from the computer which is connected to the router and go to http://www.routerlogin.net or enter the IP address of the router which is written on the back of the router.
- Enter username and password when prompted. Default username and password is admin and password respectively.
- Go to ADVANCED > Security > Access Control.
- Click on Turn on Access Control.
- Now choose an Access Rule. There are two type of Access Rules. Block all new devices from connecting will block all of your new devices until you have entered its MAC address. Allow all new devices to connect will allow all devices to connect and you don’t need to enter its MAC address.
- You can also see the list of blocked and allowed devices by clicking on the list of allowed and blocked devices below.
- To avoid your computer getting disconnected to the router after applying the changes, click on the check box next to your computer and click Allow.
- Click Apply.
If are facing any problems regarding the Using Access control/Mac filtering feature on Netgear Routers, feel free to contact Netgear support which is available for your assistance 24×7. Users can reach the professionals via email, web chat or by calling on their toll-free Netgear tech support number at +1 888 808 1303.
Tags – Buffalo Support, Buffalo Technical Support, Belkin Support, Belkin Router Support, Belkin Technical Support, Linksys Support, Linksys Technical Support