A firmware is a software that is stored inside the router’s flash memory. This allows router to do its operation. Things like configuration page are part of this firmware. All the software features are also a part of it. Netgear regularly pushes the updating Netgear router’s firmware to fix the bugs which may present and have been found later by using the router. New software features may also be introduced by firmware updates.
Automatic firmware update is fairly easy to do and Netgear Technical Support suggests you that you should always use the automatic update first as the chances of errors in the automatic update is less when compared to manual update.
But even the automatic update can damage your router if done incorrectly.
This Netgear Technical Support article will guide you on how to automatically update your Netgear router’s firmware.
Netgear Technical Support suggests you to keep these things in mind when updating your router’s firmware:
- · Do not use wireless connection to update your router’s firmware. Always connect your router to the computer via Ethernet cable for reliable connection.
- · Make sure you have a power backup in case if the power is lost during update process, the router may get damaged if the power is lost during the update process.
- · Backup your router’s configuration to easily restore your settings if the router is reset.
To update your router’s firmware automatically, follow steps below:
- Connect your router to the computer via Ethernet cable.
- Launch a web browser and enter the IP address of the router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Goto ADVANCED > Administration > Router Update.
- Click on Check button.
- The router will now check for the update and will download and install the update if available.
- The router will restart during update process.
- To check the firmware version, go to Router Status.
Do not close the browser or refresh the page during the update as it can interrupt the update and can also damage your router. Also do not disconnect the router from computer before the successful completion of the update.
If you are facing any issues, please contact to Netgear Technical Support @ 1-888-479-2017