Firmware is a software in your router which contains all the necessary code to make your router run and it also has web-page configuration page and all other machine code which makes the hardware of your router to work. If your router has bugs or it is just a security update, a firmware update can contain many things. It also makes the router more reliable which is why Belkin Tech Support suggests you to keep your router’s firmware updated.
This article will guide you on how to update your router’s firmware safely.
Do note that updating the firmware incorrectly can damage the router permanently. Belkin Tech Support suggests you to keep these things in mind before updating the firmware of your router:
- Connect your router to your computer via Ethernet cable. Do not update your router’s firmware over a wireless connection.
- Make a backup of your router before updating the router.
- Make sure that you have downloaded the right firmware file.
- Always download the firmware file for your router from Belkin’s official website.
- Do not disconnect or turn off the computer or router while the update is in progress.
To update your router’s firmware, follow steps below:
- Connect your router to the computer via Ethernet cable.
- Open a web browser and go to Belkin’s website and download the latest firmware for your router by searching the firmware for the exact same model as yours.
- Enter the IP address of the router in the web browser and enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to Utilities > Firmware Update.
- Click on the Browse button and select the firmware file which you have downloaded from the internet.
- Click on Update button to start the update process.
- After the update is done, you will be asked to wait for some time and your router will reboot.
The firmware update is now complete. If something goes wrong in between, you can restore your router using the backup you have created.
If you have any questions or are facing any issues, please contact to Belkin Tech Support. Call on Belkin Tech Support toll-free number at 1-888-479-2017