Static routing is used to manually define the route to your data in your network. This is generally defined by a network administrator and has some advantages over the dynamic routing. Since static routing are not fixed, any changes made to the network like adding or removing a device from the network will need to reconfigure the route which is not the case with dynamic routing. But since the route of the data is fixed and you know from where the data is going, the troubleshooting is fairly easy here. Also the static routing has no overhead unlike dynamic routing. Overhead though small, can create slow response times when used in a large network and adds up to the overall bandwidth of the network. Static routing is generally easy to set up in a small network.
Since the static routing needs to be reconfigured quite frequently, this Netgear Technical Support article will help you out in “setting up one easily on Netgear routers.”
To setup a static route, follow the steps below:
Below are the steps listed by Netgear Technical Support to install a static route.
- Connect the router to your computer and launch a web browser.
- Go to http://www.routerlogin.net or enter the IP address of your router. Default IP address of the router can be found on the label on the router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted. Default username and password can be found on the label on the router.
- Go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Static Routes > Add.
- Enter the name of the route whichever you want for your convenience under the Route Name.
- Fill in other required fields like Destination IP address, IP Subnet Mask and Gateway IP address according to your network.
- Enter the Metric value between 1 and 15. This value represents the number of routers between source and destination.
- Click Apply to add the route.
You can use the Edit button to edit the routes.
Your routes are now defined and should work as configured.
If you are facing any problems, please contact to Netgear Technical Support. For additional queries, call on Netgear Technical Support toll free number at 1-888-479-2017.
“Backup and restore settings of Netgear router” This Netgear Technical support article will guide you on how to backup and restore the settings of your Netgear Router. This feature is very handy and Netgear Technical Support suggests you to use this feature and keep a backup of your router’s configuration as it can save you a lot of work and time.