Smart Connect is present in R8000 and R8500 Nighthawk routers. It enables the router to choose the best 5 GHz Wi-Fi band for each 5 GHz device to maximize the Wi-Fi performance of the router. If you want your Smart Connect to work properly, both 5 GHz radio bands should use the same wireless network name (SSID) and network key (password).
It is to be noted by the user that Smart Connect is disabled by default. In order to enable to disable Smart Connect, please follow the below recommended steps by Netgear tech support professionals.
- Launch a web browser from a computer or Wi-Fi device that is connected to the router’s network.
- Enter http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.
A login screen displays.
- Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin and the default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home screen displays.
- Select Wireless as suggested by Netgear tech support experts.
- Select or clear the Smart Connect check box.
Selecting this check box turns on Smart Connect and clearing this check box turns off Smart Connect.
Note: If you select the Smart Connect check box and the SSID and password for both 5 GHz radio bands do not match, the Wi-Fi settings for 5 GHz-1 Radio overwrite the WiFi settings for 5 GHz-2 Radio.
- Click Apply.
Your settings are saved.
If you come across any issue while performing the above steps, kindly contact Netgear tech support on toll free number at 1-888-479-2017.