Specifying an IP address for any device on the LAN means that the device will always receive same IP address whenever it will get connected to the configured network. This can be very useful if you want to assign the IP address to your computer the way you want. This feature is not what normal users will ever need. This feature is for those who are network administrators of some place or who just want to keep their network managed. This feature is useful if you want to know exactly what the IP address of what computer is on the network. Assigning the name by yourself means that it will be easy for you to remember what device has what IP address which can make really easy to transfer data over the network between the devices you want by using their IP addresses.
It is a fairly easy process and if you want to assign your own IP address to any device then Netgear Technical Support suggests you to give this feature a try.
This Netgear Technical Support article will guide you through the process.
Follow steps below to configure your router:
- Connect the computer to the router and log in to your router’s configuration page.
- Go to ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.
- Click on Add button under the Address Reservation section.
- Now enter the IP address you want to assign to the computer. Do note that you can only assign the IP address from your router’s LAN subnet.
- Now type in the MAC address of the device for which you have just entered your custom IP address.
- Click on Add button to save it in the table.
Now you have to reconnect that computer from the network to assign that new IP address to that computer. You can add multiple devices using same procedure.
For more queries, contact to Netgear Technical Support. Call on Netgear Technical Support toll free number at 1-888-479-2017.
If you want to Set up bridge mode on Netgear Nighthawk router Read this article