If you have a lot of computers in your network, IP cameras, NAS, printers or you stream a lot of media locally, the IP address of the devices are required sometimes and looking for them every time you need them is really a pain.
In this case, D-Link Tech Support suggests you to use the DHCP Reservation feature in your D-Link Router to assign the IP address which ever you want to any of your device in your network. What happens is that if you are using DHCP, which is a high probability that you are using it, every time a device reconnects to the network, it is assigned a new IP address and hence the IP address of the device keep changing again and again. This problem can be solved by using DHCP reservation as the IP address which you have reserved for a specific device will be assigned to it whenever it connects to the network. This way you will know what is the IP address of the specific device making it easy to manage your network.
This D-Link Tech Support will guide you on how to configure DHCP Reservation.
To configure DHCP reservation on your D-Link Router, follow steps below:
- Open a web browser from the computer which is connected to the router.
- Enter the IP address of the Router in the address bar and hit enter. The default IP address should be 192.168.0.1.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to Setup > Network Settings.
- Under the ADD DHCP RESERVATION tab, choose the device for which you want to assign the IP from the drop down menu.
- The computer name, MAC and IP address field will be automatically copied to their respective fields. You can change the IP address and the computer name as to your liking.
- You can repeat above step to add more devices.
- When done, click on Save button to save your settings.
DHCP reservation is now configured in your router and should work accordingly.
If you have any questions or are facing any issues, please contact to D-Link Tech Support. Call on D-Link Tech Support toll free number at 1-888-479-2017