Port/Ethernet Aggregation is a feature present in Netgear Nighthawk routers which combines two Ethernet ports into one to increase the bandwidth speed between the device and the router. Every port has its speed limit and speeds cannot go beyond that limit but Port aggregation allows you to use another Ethernet port to increase the transfer speed. For example, if your router’s Ethernet speed is 10Mbps then you can increase its speed up to twice by combining two Ethernet ports into one through Port Aggregation. This is a very handy feature and Netgear Tech Support suggests you to use this feature if you want more transfer speed between your device and your router. This feature can be used to connect NAS (Network Attached Storage) to your router for better speeds.
Do note that the device must also support Port Aggregation or this will not work.
This Netgear Tech Support article will guide you on how to configure this feature on your router.
Follow steps below:
- Open a web browser from the computer which is connected to the router.
- Go to www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net or enter the IP address of your router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted. Default username is admin and default password is password.
- Go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Ethernet Port Aggregation. Click on Dynamic radio button and then click Apply.
- Now connect your NAS to your router via Ethernet port 1 and 2.
- Open another tab in your web browser and enter the IP address of your NAS followed by /admin. For example, if your NAS IP is 10.2.1.100 then enter 10.2.1.100/admin in the address bar and press enter.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Now go to Network > Gear icon on eth0 > New Bond.
- Tick the Bond with check box. Select Teaming Mode as IEEE 802.3ad LACP and select Hash Type as Layer 2+3.
- Click on Create button.
- Now go to your router’s configuration page tab and check if the Ethernet Port Aggregation Status is Active on the bottom of the Ethernet Port Aggregation page. If it is active, then you have successfully configured port aggregation.
If you have any questions or are facing any issues, please contact to Netgear Tech Support. Call on Netgear Tech Support toll-free number at 1-888-479-2017