You can share a USB storage drive over a network by connecting the USB drive to the router via USB port present on the router. All the users on the network will then be able to use the USB drive. This is very convenient method and D-Link Router Support suggests you to use this when you need to transfer data from one drive between many computers on the same network.
All of the computers in the network can read from and write into the drive at the same time. It is a very convenient way to share the drive. It also saves a lot of time and is also very easy to configure.
This D-Link Router Support article will guide you on how to configure your router so that you can use an USB storage drive with it.
To configure your router for sharing the USB storage drive, follow steps below:
- Connect the storage drive to the computer via USB port.
- Open the web browser from the computer which is connected to the router.
- Enter the IP address of the computer and press enter.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to SETUP > STORAGE.
- If the drive is detected, it will how the name and the total/free space of the drive.
To access the drive on windows computer, follow steps below:
- Go to Start > Run
- Type \\ IP address of the router. e.g. \\192.168.1.1 and press enter.
- Press enter and now you should be able to access the drive.
If you are prompted for username and password, enter the same username and password which you use to login to the web-based configuration page of the router.
If you are using a MAC computer, follow steps below:
- Go to Go > Connect to Server.
- Enter smb://ip address of the router. e.g. smb://192.168.1.1 and press enter.
- Click on Connect to explore the drive.
If you have any questions or are facing any issues, please contact to D-Link Router Support. Call on D-Link Router Tech Support toll free number at 1-888-479-2017