Manually upgrading the router’s firmware can be a hassle. This is why Linksys technical support recommends to turn on Automatic Updates as it will automatically update your router’s firmware and will save you some work and time.
But if you don’t prefer that, this Linksys technical support article will guide you to manually upgrade your router’s firmware safely.
The present firmware version can be found on the top right of the configuration page of your router. The latest firmware version can be found on its product page in the Linksys support site. If a newer version is available, you should upgrade to it.
Do note that these instructions are not applicable to Linksys smart Wi-Fi router.
Linksys Technical Support suggests following things you should do to prevent failures:
- Do not connect your modem to the computer wirelessly when you are going to upgrade its firmware. Use Ethernet port for reliable connection.
- Make sure that you have downloaded the correct firmware for your router.
- Make a backup configuration file.
- Remove any storage device you have connected to the router to prevent data loss.
After you have successfully downloaded the firmware file for your router, follow these steps:
- Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the router.
- Enter Username and Password when prompted.
- Web based setup page will appear.
- Go to Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
- Click on Browse.
- Locate the firmware file you have downloaded.
- Click Start Upgrade button.
The upgrade should start now. It will take some time.Do not disconnect the router from the computer or shut down the router or computer as it can corrupt the firmware of your router and your router may become unusable.
After Successful upgradation of router’s firmware, power-cycle the router by powering it off for 10 seconds and turning it on again.
If you cannot connect to the internet after upgradation, reset your router and use that configuration backup file that you created before upgrading your router to make your router working again.
If you have any issues, please contact to Linksys technical support. For expert assistance, kindly contact Linksys customer support professionals on Linksys technical support number at 1-888-479-2017
Setting up Linksys smart wi-fi router for first time? Read this article
Steps to Reset a Linksys Wireless Router Username and Password. Read How to