Firmware is a software in your router which contains all the necessary code to make your router run and it also has web-page configuration page and all other machine code which makes the hardware of your router to work. If your router has bugs or it is just a security update, a firmware update can contain many things. It also makes the router more reliable which is why D-Link Router Support suggests you to keep your router’s firmware updated.
This D-Link Technical Support article will guide you through the process of updating your router’s firmware.
D-Link Router Tech Support suggests you to keep these things in mind before updating your router’s firmware:
- Always download the firmware from the D-Link’s official website only.
- Do not update your router’s firmware wirelessly.
- Updating your router’s firmware will reset your router. It is recommended to make a backup of your existing router settings before updating the firmware. This will save a lot of time.
- Make sure that you have downloaded the right firmware file.
- Do not try to turn off the router or computer and do not disconnect router and computer while updating of firmware is in progress.
After you have downloaded the firmware file and have saved it into your computer, follow steps below:
- Connect the router to the computer via Ethernet cable.
- Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to Tools > Maintenance.
- Click on the Update Firmware button and then select the firmware file which is saved in your computer.
- Click on Update Firmware button to start updating.
The router’s firmware will be updated to the new firmware. The router will restart after the process. Restore the router’s settings from the backup which you have made before.
If you have any questions or are facing any issues, please contact to D-Link Router Support. Call on D-Link Technical Support toll free number at 1-888-479-2017.