Got a new Linksys router but don’t know how to set it up properly?
Don’t worry, Linksys technical support is available for your assistance. This article will tell you necessary steps you should take to setup your router for first time.
Linksys technical support recommends Smart setup wizard for setting up Linksys smart Wi-Fi routers. It is embedded in the firmware and is available even if the router does not have an internet connection or is on factory settings.
Benefits of Smart Setup Wizard is that you don’t need any CD or additional software to setup your router.
Before setting the router up, you should have an internet browser with latest version of Adobe Flash Player. Linksys Technical Support also recommends using Ethernet cable.
If your router came with external antennas, you must connect them before turning on the router.
Setting it Up:
- Connect the Ethernet cable from modem to the internet port at the back of router and connect the router with your computer with another Ethernet cable.
- Launch your web browser and go to http://linksyssmartwifi.com or you can also enter the default IP address of the router http://192.168.1.1.
- Tick the checkbox that says I have read and accepted the License Terms for using this software and click next.
- The Smart Setup Screen should show up now, if it doesn’t, try to reset the router by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds and then repeat the steps again.
- Setup will now detect your Internet Connection. If it fails to detect it, Your Internet cable is not connected correctly window will appear. Make sure that cables are properly connected and you have an active internet connection.
- For DSL users, it will prompt for PPPoE Account name and Password. Enter the same and click next.
- In the Updates for your router window, you can check or uncheck the Install future router updates automatically checkbox. It is checked by default. Linksys Technical support recommends to keep it on as it will keep your router updated which will make it work better as the updates provide bug fixes, security fixes and also improves in performance.
- Enter your Network Name and Network Password in the next window for your wireless network.
- After you have saved the settings to the router, you will receive a message to reconnect to the new wireless network you have just created. You can continue using the router if you are connected to the router via Ethernet cable.
- Create a router password in Create a router password field. Linksys technical support recommends using a combination of letters and numbers for your password as it will make it a little hard for others to guess it.
- You should now be at Your router is set up! Window. It will show you the settings you have done and the router’s admin password will also be displayed. Click next.
- You will be then redirected to Create your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account page for the Remote access feature. It is free service by Linksys. You can choose to use it or it. It is not mandatory to use this feature. Use this feature only if you need it.
Your router has been successfully configured and now you can use it with your existing network.
You can also Reset username and password of Linksys Router. Read this article how to reset Linksys username and password.
If you are still having any issues, please contact on Linksys Technical support number at 1-888-479-2017 (Toll free).