Securing the Wi-Fi network is very important. This do not let the unwanted people connect to your network which saves you from a lot of trouble like unwanted bandwidth consumptions resulting in slow network and many more. One simple way to protect your Wireless network is to encrypt it with WPA2 encryption which is the latest and is toughest to break. You can choose your password as you like. Users need to provide this password to access the network.
This Netgear Technical Support will guide you on how to secure your Wi-Fi network using WPA/WPA2.
There are several other encryptions as well like WEP and WPA.
WEP stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy and is one of the widely used encryption. It is outdated for today’s standards though. One can easily break through the WEP encryption.
WPA stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access and it replaced the WEP encryption. It uses 256-bit encryption which are harder to break through when compared to WEP.
WPA2 is the successor to the WPA encryption and is the latest encryption available. Netgear Technical support suggests you to use WPA/WPA2 encryption to protect your wireless network.
WPA2 is recommended though as if you used any other encryption then you will be limited to the 54Mbps speeds which is not the limitation with WPA2.
To setup the WPA2 encryption on to your network, follow these steps:
- Connect the computer with the router via Ethernet cable.
- Open the web browser and go to http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com or enter the IP address of the router.
- Enter the username and password hen prompted.
- Go to Wireless/Wireless Settings > Security Options and select the WPA2-PSK from the given options.
- Enter the Passphrase of your choice. Use alphabets, numbers and special characters to make it harder to break.
- Click Apply to save the configuration.
Your router is now configured and now all the users will need to provide the password in order to connect to the network. You can change the password and encryption whenever you want using the same process.
If you are facing any issues, please contact to Netgear Technical Support. Call on 1888-479-2017 (Toll Free) for more information.
Read our article on Netgear Router Support – Fix for not able to access the router login page