Before we understand the ways to optimize the Linksys router for gaming and voice, let us first know how router prioritizes traffic to the internet.
Your Linksys router can prioritize traffic between your network and the Internet. Performance for demanding, real-time applications, such as online gaming, VoIP calls, video streaming, and video conferencing, can be improved by configuring media prioritization.
Prioritization settings are applied only to traffic that is uploaded to the Internet. The router cannot control the quality of the traffic after it reaches the Internet.
In order to configure media prioritization, a user need to follow six important steps as recommended by Linksys router support team.
- Log into Linksys Smart Wi-Fi
- Under Apps, click Media Prioritization. The Media Prioritization screen opens
- Turn on Prioritization if it is not already on
- Click and drag high-priority devices from the Normal Priority list to the High Priority list.
- To prioritize an application or game, select the name in the drop-down list, then click and drag the icon next to the name to the High Priority list
*Note: If the application name isn’t listed, click Edit and add the name.
- Click Settings. The Settings screen opens
- Set the maximum Downstream Bandwidth. If you set the bandwidth lower than the actual bandwidth of your router, performance may be limited
- Set the maximum Upstream Bandwidth
- To help manage traffic priority with devices that support WMM, turn on WMM Support
*Important: TIP WMM (Wifi Multimedia) Support is a wireless feature based on the IEEE 802.11e standard. WMM improves quality for audio, video, and voice applications by prioritizing wireless traffic. This feature requires that the wireless client devices in your network also support WMM.
- To have the router re-send data if an error occurs, turn off No Acknowledgement
*Important: CAUTION if you specify a maximum bandwidth that is too high, the router cannot apply priorities correctly, and prioritization problems may result.
- Click OK
For additional queries, you can contact Linksys router support experts on toll free number at 1-888-479-2017. The professionals are available 24×7 for technical help both online and onsite. Many support service providers charge out of the pocket amount as their consulting/visiting fee, if they serve you during odd hours. But with third party Linksys router support provider a user can be rest assured; there are no hidden charges.