The Netgear Nighthawk Routers have a feature named Traffic metering which allows the user to monitor and limit the internet traffic that passes through the router Internet port. You can set limits for the data which can be downloaded or uploaded. You can set the data counter reset date and time. You can also either disconnect to the internet or just make the LED flash when you have reached the limit. Netgear router support suggests you to use this feature as it greatly helps in controlling your network and helps you save on your internet bills.
This Netgear router support article will tell you the steps to enable and use this feature.
Monitoring internet traffic:
Follow Netgear router support steps to monitor internet traffic.
- Open an internet browser from the computer which is connected to the router.
- Go to http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com or enter the IP address of your router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted to access the configuration page of our router.
- Go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter.
- Check the Enable Traffic Meter check box.
- You will have two options Traffic Volume Control and Connection Time Control. The former allows you to control the data by volume and the later will let you set the time limit not the data volume limit. So if your plan is volume limited, use former option. If your plan is time limited, use later option.
- You can set the traffic counter to begin at given time and date in Traffic Counter section. Restart Counter Now button will reset/smart the counter immediately.
- You can set the warning type which you will get when your plan has reached its limit under Traffic Control Section.The value is set to 0 by default which means that no warning message will be shown. You can either make the LED to flash in f=green/amber or you can also set it to disconnect to the internet immediately after you have reached the limit of your plan. You can set these by checking their respective checkboxes.
- Click Apply to save your settings.
- Click the Refresh button to update the Traffic Statistics section.
Your router is now configured and will now give a warning message when you will reach your plan’s limit.
If you are facing any issues, feel free to contact Netgear router support. Call on 1-888-479-2017 today!