Media Prioritization feature allows to prioritize the devices, type of data or applications that will be given more bandwidth. Linksys Technical Support recommends you to do this as per your needs as it is one of the best way to optimize your network which will make it faster and reliable as you can set priorities to devices like giving low priority to your phone but high priority to your main computer or if you are a gamer for example, you can set online gaming as the highest priority so that you can play games with least possible lag possible. This Linksys Technical Support article will guide you on how to do it in right manner.
The computer or device that you want to give more allocation should be currently connected to the network. The list of devices under normal priority would indicate that your device is ready for prioritization.
Enabling the Media Prioritization feature:
- Go to your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account.
- Click on Media Prioritization on the left dashboard view.
- Turn ON the Prioritization button.
- After the Media Prioritization overlay appears, drag and drop devices from the Normal priority list to the High Priority list.
- After arranging the devices as per requirements, click OK.
These steps explained that how you should prioritize the devices connected to the network. You can also prioritize the applications if you want to. Like if you stream a lot then you can set it to the high priority so that your background downloads don’t affect your streaming.
- To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to Linksys Smart Wi-Fi account.
- Go to Media Prioritization.
- Select the application or game you want to set the priority of.
- Click on the tool on the right of the Applications drop down list.
- Drag and drop it from normal to high/low priority section in the same way you did for devices.
- After successfully setting the priority, Click OK.
There are some settings for Media Prioritization too. Some of them are explained below:
- WMM: Wifi Multimedia Support is a QoS (Quality of Service) feature that prioritizes the wireless traffic in your network for audio, video and voice application. Linksys Technical Support recommends you to enable it.
- No Acknowledgement: This feature will let the router re-send the data if any error occurs if it is off. If you do not want the router to re-send the data if an error occurs, turn it ON.
- Upstream Bandwidth: This option let you manually configure the bandwidth for the applications and devices. It is set to auto by default.
If you still have any doubts, please contact to Linksys Technical support.