MAC address filter is a feature present in Linksys Routers which is used to allow or deny the set of devices to connect to the network. This is an additional security feature and can be used to allow or prevent other devices to connect to your network.
Every device has its own unique MAC address which cannot be changed. This Mac address is used to identify the devices. Even though it is a security feature, it is not very secure as anyone can easily mimic the MAC address of another device and can then easily connect to your network. This is why Linksys Router Support suggests you not to use this feature alone as a security feature. Always encrypt your Wi-Fi network with a unique and strong password.
This Linksys Router Support Article will guide you on how to setup MAC address filtering in your Linksys Routers.
To setup MAC address filtering in your Linksys Router, follow steps below:
- Connect your router to the computer via Ethernet cable.
- Launch a web browser and enter the IP address of your router.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to Wireless on the left navigation pane.
- Go to MAC Filtering and click on Enable checkbox.
- A window will appear informing that WPS will be disabled by using MAC filtering. Click on Yes to continue.
- You will now get two options. Deny access for the listed MAC addresses will let you make a list of the MAC addresses which will not be allowed to connect to the network. Allow access for ONLY the listed MAC address will allow you make a list of MAC addresses which will only be allowed to connect to the network. Choose whatever you want according to your needs.
- Click on Add MAC Address button to add the MAC addresses and Click on save button to save the MAC address.
- You can also edit or delete the MAC address from the same list.
- Click on Apply > OK to save your settings.
MAC address filtering is now enabled on your Linksys Router and should work as configured.
Parental control is a feature found on most of the Linksys Routers which lets you restrict the internet access for any device for specific time. You can either block the internet access or you can just block specific sites at specific times. “Restricting internet access during certain time using parental controls on Linksys routers“
If you are facing any issues or have any questions, please contact to Linksys Router Support. Call on 1-888-479-2017 for assistance.