Smart connect feature is only available on R8000 and R8500 netgear routers. What it does is it automatically separates the devices connected to it to the appropriate 5 GHz band based on the speed and performance of the device connected to it. 2.4 GHz band is only used for legacy devices which do not support 5 GHz band. But for new devices, 5 GHz band is used. One 5 GHz band is reserved for slow devices and one is for faster devices. This feature also avoids the overloading of one band and smartly distributes the traffic among both of the 5 GHz bands.
Netgear Tech Support recommends you to use this feature as this feature greatly optimises your network and you will get better experience with your network.
This Netgear Tech Support article will guide you on how to setup this feature in your Netgear R8000 and R8500 router.
Follow steps below:
- Open a web browser from the computer which is connected to the router.
- Enter the IP address of the router or go to www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com.
- Enter the username and password. Default username is admin and default password is password.
- Go to Wireless section and click on Smart Connect checkbox to enable the feature.
- Click on Apply button to save your settings.
Do note that the SSID and password of both 5GHz bands must be same. If you have not configured both bands to be the same, after enabling Smart Connect the settings of first 5GHz band will override the other 5GHz band. Only one 5GHz band will be visible but after connecting the device to the router, the router will smartly connect it to the appropriate band.
If you have any questions or are facing any issues, please contact to Netgear Tech Support. Call on Netgear Tech Supporttoll-free number at 1-888-479-2017.