You can connect multiple Linksys routers together in a network for multiple reasons. You may need to improve performance, you may need to connect more devices to your network, you may need to expand the network range or you may need to distribute load among multiple routers for faster data transfer. You can easily do that especially if you have a Linksys Smart Router as they do not need to be configured but non-smart router needs to be configured.
This Linksys Router Support article will guide you on how you can use multiple Linksys Routers in your network easily.
Follow steps below for Smart Routers:
- Connect your computer to your Linksys Smart Router.
- Connect your primary router to the internet port of the Linksys Smart Router.
- Power on the routers and the smart router will automatically detect the second router and will change its IP address to 10.X.X.X.
Your primary router is now connected successfully with your smart router.
Above method is only for Smart Routers. Non-smart routers need to be configured because they cannot assign IP to themselves automatically. Before configuring the routers, Linksys Router Support recommends you to make sure that the IP address of both routers is not same. Their IP address should be different to avoid address conflict and connectivity issues.
Follow steps below to configure non-smart routers:
- Connect your computer to your secondary router via Ethernet cable.
- Enter the IP address of the router and enter the username and password when prompted.
- Go to Network Setup and change the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.2. The IP address of your primary router should be 192.168.1.1 and IP address of secondary router should be 192.168.1.2 if both of your routers are in LAN. If one is in WAN and other is in LAN then change the IP address of your secondary router to 192.168.2.1. Make sure that the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0.
- Go to DHCP Server Setting and disable DHCP Server.
- Click on Save Settings button to save your settings.
- Now connect your modem to the internet port of the primary router and connect primary router and secondary router together via Ethernet port.
- Power-cycle the secondary router and wait for the LEDs to get stable. Check if you are able to access the internet through your secondary router, if not, you may have not configured your router properly.
If you have any questions or are facing any issues, please contact to Linksys Router Support. Call on Linksys Router Support toll-free number at 1-888-479-2017.